Monday, July 31, 2023

MRS. YOUNGER'S CORNBREAD

Many of you former Needmore students will remember Mrs. Aela Younger.  I never had her as a teacher but her daughter and my sister were friends, so I was at her house from time to time.  Her husband Howard drove a Needmore School Bus. She contributed this cornbread recipe to the PTA cookbook in 1955.

1/2 cup meal
1/2 cup flour
2 level tbsp. sugar
2/3 cup sweet milk
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 egg

Mix well and pour into pie pan in which 2 level tbsp. of shorening has been melted.  Bake in hot oven until brown.

Remember Cobb's Marathon Station in Bedford?  This ad is across the page from this cornbread recipe.  I had forgotten all about 4 digit phone numbers.  Of course, my family didn't have a phone then, so I really never used the 4-digit numbers.
Do you remember 4-digit phone numbers?

No comments: