Saturday, January 6, 2024

CABBAGE AND GROUND BEEF DISH

As I have said repeatedly, I love these old recipes.  When I was a child, my dad planted 3 or 4 gardens.  He loved to garden, he loved having the vegetables, and he loved giving to others.  For many years he was the local township trustee.  Part of his job was giving out subsidies to those who qualified.  He often gave them what the county allowed then sent them home with bags of his garden produce.  The one vegetable I anxiously awaited was the large cabbages.  I think I like cabbage anyway you can prepare it!  Almost every time I buy a head of cabbage I think about the large ones dad grew in his gardens. I love the boiling water measurement in this old recipe.


1 small head of green cabbage, cut in chunks
tea kettle of boiling water
1 onion, diced
1 lb ground chuck
1/4 cup raw rice (not instant)
1 can tomato soup
1 soup can of water

Place cabbage in a large pan or heat-proof bowl and pour the boiling water over it to wilt; drain.

Brown the ground chuck with the onion, adding salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until the meat is no longer pink, and the onion is tender; drain well.

Mix the drained cabbage with the ground beef/onion mixture.  Stir in the rice, tomato soup and soup can of water until mixed together well.  Pour into a greased casserole dish.

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for approximately 1 1/2 hours.

clipart


No comments: