Saturday, February 24, 2024

KRAUT STUFFED PORK AND SAVORY GRAVY

 I got this recipe many years ago from a coworker. I love sauerkraut and it is good for the digestive system, so I was hooked.

4 lb pork loin roast

3/4 cup drained sauerkraut

1/2 onion, chopped

Brown sugar to taste, optional

Preheat oven to 350-degrees.

Split the roast lengthwise almost, but not quite, all the way through.

In a small bowl, combine the sauerkraut, onion and a touch of brown sugar to suit your taste. I don't need my kraut sweetened so I usually omit. Spread the mixture evenly inside the roast and tie or pin to hold together.

Bake at 350 degrees 2 1/2 hours or until done to suit you. Always be sure your port is fully cooked.

Savory Gravy:

Roast drippings

1/2 onion, chopped

1 tsp caraway seed

1/2 cup water

1 can celery soup

1/2 to 1 tbsp horseradish, according to taste

1 tsp mustard

In a saucepan, dilute the celery soup with the water. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring or whisking to smooth. While stirring, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until desired consistency. Serve with the roast.

file photo for reference - not this exact recipe



No comments: