Monday, August 14, 2023

CARROT-ORANGE JELLIED SALAD FOR DIABETICS

When I was young my paternal grandmother was a diabetic and a few years later my maternal grandfather was also diagnosed with the disease.  I remember thinking how awful it was for them and hoping I would never have that problem.  Of course at age 60, it got me, too.  But foods for diabetics have greatly improved since then. This is one of their old recipes.

1 envelope unflavored gelatine
1/2 cup cold orange juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded raw carrot
1/2 cup cubed orange sections
1 cup very hot water
3 tbs. lemon juice
1/4 cup crushed pineapple (in its own juice)
9 non-caloric sweetening tablets or equivalent

Drain the unsweetened crushed pineapple.  Sprinkle the gelatine on the cold orange juice to soften.  Add the softened gelatine to the very hot water and stir  to thoroughly dissolve.  Add the salt, lemon juice and non-caloric sweetener.  Chill to unbeaten egg white consistency.  Fold in carrots, pineapple and orange sections that have been well drained.  Turn into one large mold or six individual molds.  Chill until firm.

free clipart

No comments: