Monday, December 4, 2023

VIRGINIA SPOON BREAD

The lady who gave me this recipe years ago said they pride themselves on their Southern cooking in Virginia and this is one of their specialties.  I wouldn't know as I was a teenager when I visited Virginia.  Anyway she said this bread is really delicious when served with butter, syrup, honey, or maybe ham gravy.  I have never made this old recipe but I offer it today on her recommendation.  She is no longer with us so we cannot go back to her and complain if it doesn't turn out to be so good!

1 cup corn meal (white)
salt
1 tbsp shortening
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup cold milk

Place the corn meal, salt, and shortening in a casserole and add boiling water and stir well.  Add eggs and baking powder and cold milk.  Place in oven at about 350 degrees and bake 30 minutes.  Serve by spooning bread directly from the casserole dish.

file photo

No comments: