Wednesday, October 11, 2023

EASY HOMEMADE CHICKEN STOCK

Having grown up around chickens, I simply detest them and just plain can't eat them.  The taste is okay but I gag on chicken so badly I have to excuse myself to go vomit.  I realize it is a psychiatric problem but I can't help it.  At 73, I have no desire to try to overcome this situation!  However, all my family loves chicken and I have one granddaughter who prefers chicken over all else.  So I do cook a lot of chicken for my family and friends.  This recipe is the way we Hoosier Country Folk made/make homemade chicken stock.

4 lbs chicken backs, necks, and wings or a large whole chicken, cut-up
4 quarts cold water
3 celery ribs with the leaves, chopped
1 large onion, chopped

Put the water in a large stockpot and add the chicken; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Cook for 15 minutes and skim.  Add the celery and onion; simmer for two hours.

If using the backs, necks, and wings, discard.  If using the whole chicken, drain, and refrigerate for later use.  Strain the stock then chill for at east 6 to 8 hours up to two days.  Skim the fat from the chilled stock and simmer for 30 minutes.  Stock is ready for use.  If you do not use all the stock or are just making for later use, cool, store in freezer bags or cartons and freeze.
file photo



No comments: