Wednesday, May 26, 2021

MAGIC COOKIE BARS

I know I have been making this recipe for my family for over fifty years. I hadn't even thought of it as an old recipe until I ran across it in my late mother's recipe files and realized how long I had been making it. These are excellent and make a perfect dessert for the office, church or other "pitch-ins", or just to please your family. My family enjoys them made with chocolate chips or butterscotch chips. I'm sure they would be good with toffee chips, peanut butter chips, etc. Try making them with your family's favorite chips. They are sure to please!

1/2 cup margarine
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 pkg (6 oz)semi-sweet chocolate chips (or any flavor)
1 can (3 oz)flaked coconut (or 1 1/3 cups)
1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer pecans)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees for a metal pan or 325 degrees for a glass pan.

In a 9x13-inch baking pan, melt margarine in the oven. Remove from oven and sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over the margarine. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the cracker crumbs and butter. Top with the chips, coconut, and nuts. Press down lightly, using a large spatula or the back of a large spoon. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars. To store, cover loosely and store at room temperature.

No comments: