Tuesday, June 28, 2022

SCALLOPED CABBAGE HOOSIER-STYLE

This is another old recipe from Southern Indiana.

1 large head of cabbage, quartered
1 tsp salt
1 can cream of mushroom soup
6 slices American cheese
1/2 tsp salt (I omit)
dash of pepper
Breadcrumbs

In a large saucepan cover the cabbage with water. Add the teaspoon of salt, bring mixture to a boil and cook approximately 20 minutes. Drain cabbage and dispose of water. In a greased casserole dish, layer half the cabbage. Spread half the soup over the cabbage and cover with 3 slices of cheese. Repeat the layers. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, if using, and the pepper. Sprinkle the top with fine breadcrumbs. Place in a 350 degrees oven and bake for 30 minutes.
File photo used for reference only.
NOTE: When I make this, I sprinkle the second layer of cabbage with some Herb de Provance, use Italian-flavored breadcrumbs, and about 5 minutes before the casserole is done, I sprinkle some shredded Cheddar cheese over the top. I like my foods spicy and cheesy.

No comments: