Thursday, January 12, 2012

MY FIRST RED VELVET CAKE

I have accumulated several recipes for red velvet cake over the years but this was my first one.  It is still a good one.  It calls for Wesson oil.  Today with all my health/nutrition research I only use olive, coconut, or canola oils.  But the oil you choose to use is up to you.  Again, due to health issues, I now use 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour.  And because I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago, I now use Splenda Baking Blend instead of granulated sugar.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teasp. soda
1 teasp. cocoa
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups Wesson oil
1 teasp. vanilla
1 bottle red food coloring (1-ounce)
1 cup buttermilk

Mix the first 4 ingredients with the Wesson oil.  Add remainder of ingredients and mix well.  Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes when baked in three layers.  Vary baking time if using 2 layers or a 9 x 13 pan. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Double the icing recipe if an extremely rich cake is desired!

For the icing I now use butter.  My nutritional research has led me to believe our bodies handle natural foods better than man made ones.  Also, because of my diabetes, I now make my own powdered sugar.  I have the recipe on my blog at http://diabeticenjoyingfood.blogspot.com  It tastes just as good as regular powdered sugar, if I have any diabetics reading this!

ICING
8 oz. cream cheese
1 stick oleo
1 box powdered sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1 teasp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese and oleo.  Mix all ingredients together and spread on the cooled cake.




No comments: