Thursday, January 5, 2012

OLD FASHION BROWN SUGAR CANDY

Whenever I think about brown sugar candy I think about one of my favorite uncles.  He has been gone for years and I seldom saw him the last 20 or 30 years of his life.  He loved brown sugar fudge so anytime I make brown sugar candy I am reminded of him.  Sometimes I wonder what is better, the candy or the memories.

3/4 cup butter
3 cups packed light brown sugar
1 can (5-oz) evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped black walnuts*

Butter a 9-inch square pan or dish; set aside.

In a heavy saucepan bring the butter, brown sugar, and milk to a boil.  Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and walnuts.  Beat the mixture just until it begins to thicken.  Pour candy into the prepared pan or dish.  Let stand until cool; this candy sets-up quickly.  Cut into 36 squares and place on plate, in a candy dish or may be kept in an airtight container.

*If you do not have black walnuts or just don't like them, substitute English walnuts.


16 comments:

Mrs. A said...

OOOooohh I loved these growing up (and I"m only 34)! I'll have to make these for my family and see how long they last!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent recipe. The directions are easy to follow and the result is delicious.

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe yesterday, having never made brown sugar candy before. The directions were easy to follow and work every step of the way. The end result was outstanding. Many thanks for this recipe.

Unknown said...

My mom made this type of candy a lot when I was growing up. She added maple flavoring when she had it....yummy! She also made a chocolate version using cocoa. I miss you, Mom.

Unknown said...

Silly question..should I beat with a wooden spoon or mixer

Anonymous said...

My mother used to make brown sugar fudge (penuche). I loved it. Have to try this.

Linda C Wilson said...

Amanda Lavery, beat with the spoon.

Unknown said...

I make my mom's/grandma's penuche all the time - it's always a huge hit. My recipe is a bit different though as it uses regular sugar instead of powdered. I've also started using browned butter instead of regular butter and I add a splash of maple syrup. This recipe sounds easier than mine and the results look delicious. I might have to try this version too!

Sheree Runion Hyde said...

I am so enjoying all the wonderful old recipes that I find in your blog. You have made my weekend! I thought I was the only one who collect old recipes. Thank you and God less!

Sheree Runion Hyde said...

Thank you for Your wonderful blog. I have really enjoyed all the old recipes! I thought I was the only one who collected vintage recipes. You have made my weekend so happy! God bless!

Unknown said...

Linda Hampton, my Mom made Penuche fudge as well and I've never heard anyone else refer to it besides myself. Nice to hear. Linda Wilson, thank you for sharing your recipie and your sweet story - God Bless

Unknown said...

thank you--old is still good

Unknown said...

Is this penuche or is it the same as Scottish tablet? I have never made either one, but this sounds really good.

Unknown said...

This looks so much like the crumbly-Ness of a coffee (tablet) fudge I used to make in the 70's from my grandmother's cook book. Would you have a recipe simular but I can not remember using evaporated milk even though my gran used it in her coffee instead of milk. I remember making a mug of strong black instant coffee (not much help),

myhuonglequyen said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng đi mỹ cũng như dịch vụ ship hàng mỹ từ dịch vụ nhận mua hộ hàng mỹ từ website nổi tiếng Mỹ là mua hàng amazon về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.

Donna said...

My Dad always made old fashioned Brown Sugar Candy, but his only had brown sugar in it, no white or powdered sugar!