Monday, September 3, 2018

FLORENCE'S EASY GOULASH

This recipe is from a lady who was like a second mother to me. She was the head cook at a country school back in the days when the ladies showed up at the school early and cooked a home-made lunch for the students and staff. This is one of the recipes she used. She is gone now but even into her 80s when I would go back to visit my home state she would have me over for dinner/supper and make this favorite dish for me.
I so loved this special lady.

2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
3/4 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1 No. 2 can tomatoes, chopped slightly
1 lb Colby cheese, grated

Crumble ground beef and fry with onion, bell pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Cook macaroni until tender, drain. Drain excess fat from ground beef mixture. Add the macaroni and tomatoes. Stir well. Place in a baking dish and cover with the grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese melts and is light brown (about 20 minutes).

 I don't have a picture of the dish but I do have a favorite picture of Florence. I miss her!

No comments: