Thursday, June 4, 2015

DATE BARS

I remember my mother making date bars when I was a child and I loved them. I believe this recipe is one from a Quaker Oats box in the 50s. Oh so yummy!

1 3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cold butter
2 1/2 cups chopped dates
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts + extras for garnish, if desired
Whipped cream for serving, if desired

In a large bowl, combine eats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into a greased 13 X 9-inch baking pan. In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in walnuts. Spread over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Top with whipped cream and additional chopped walnuts, if desired.


No comments: