Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A GOOD WASH FOR THE HAIR

This is from MRS. BEETON'S  Book of Household MANAGEMENT circa 1861.

1 pennyworth of borax
1/2 pint olive-oil
1 pint boiling water

Pour the boiling water over the borax and oil; let it cool; then put the mixture into a bottle. Shake it before using and apply it with a flannel. Camphor and borax, dissolved in boiling water and left to cool, make a very good wash for the hair; as does also rosemary-water mixed with a little borax. After using any of these washes, when the hair becomes thoroughly dry, a little pomatum or oil should be rubbed in, to make it smooth and glossy.

Note: When I was growing up my family owned an old country store where we sold everything from kerosene, gas, and sliced meats. I sold a lot of borax in those days but I never dreamed to use for washing my hair!



No comments: