Thanks to Kirk Watson for sharing memories of his Grammy and her recipes with us.
I do believe in ghosts.
Grammy’s Cornbread Dressing
- 1 recipe of Cornbread (Cornkits is the best — you can get it at HEB; Jiffy and others have too much sugar in them), preferably made with buttermilk or soured milk and greased in pan with bacon grease
- 3-4 Large Biscuits
- 3-4 slices toast
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup celery
- 4 eggs – well broken
- 2-3 cups fresh stock or 2 cans chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sage
- 1-2 tablespoons poultry seasoning (to taste)
- Salt and Pepper
- Prepare cornbread and white bread 2 days in advance and crumble fine. Let sit covered with a dishtowel to dry out in a bowl.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Mixture should be very soupy in order to make a dressing that is not dry.
- Season to taste.
- Put in glass baking dish and cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until lightly golden/brown.