Wednesday, July 11, 2012

HONEY DROP COOKIES

This is a very old recipe from an American Home Women's Department Club meeting in my Hoosier hometown.

1 cup shortening (part butter)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
6 tbsp honey
3 1/2 cups flour, sifted
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
apricot jam or preserves

Mix shortening, sugar, eggs and stir in honey and vanilla.  Sift flour and soda and add to mixture.  Chill until firm, or overnight.  Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Form dough into small balls.  Place on cooky sheet and bake 10-12 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Cool slightly and put in pairs with apricot jam between.  Makes about 3 dozen double cookies.

The original recipe has a note in parenthesis say, "After dough is firm and cold, I make it into rolls about the size of boughten cookie rolls and slice it with a cheese cutter."

Note:  I have never made this recipe.  I was already a diabetic when I found this in my late mother's recipe stash.  This type of recipe does not easily adapt to diabetic methods.

No comments: