Wednesday, January 25, 2012

GOOD OLD MACARONI AND CHEESE

My sister and I loved macaroni and cheese.  My kids followed suit and now the grandchildren, too.  When I make it I always think of my grandfather who died when I was in high school.  He loved it, too.  For some reason, he always called it 'gettie'!

2 cups elbow macaroni
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Cook the macaroni according to the package directions; drain.
Spray a 1 1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the flour, mustard, and salt.  Gradually stir in the milk.  Cook and stir until the mixture thickens slightly; remove from the heat.  Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted.  Stir in the cooked macaroni. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining half cup of cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.

clipart



No comments: