Monday, November 21, 2011

CORNBREAD DRESSING

I do not like turkey but I do love the dressing.  I especially like it made with these soups.  Hope you will, too.  Some like the chopped boiled eggs so I have included them.  I don't particularly like them but they supply more of the protein I need as a diabetic.  Dressing is just as good without them and I make it both ways.

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 can condensed cream of celery soup
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
4 cups chicken or turkey broth
9 x 11-inch pan unsweetened cornbread, crumbled
3/4 loaf stale white bread, crumbled
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
4 large eggs
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp ground thyme
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Saute the onion and celery in the vegetable oil until tender.  Add the soups and the broth and cook until heated through.

In a large bowl combine the crumbled cornbread, crumbled white bread, chopped eggs, raw eggs, and seaonings.  Add the soup/broth mixture and mix together well.  Pack into a large pan that has been greased and bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments: