Tuesday, March 22, 2011

DOILY STIFF

My mother and grandmother crocheted a lot and used this recipe to stiffen their doilies after washing them.

3/4 cup cornstarch
2 tbs. turpentine
2 tbs borax
1 quart cold water

Mix water, cornstarch, and borax good. Be sure dissolved. Add turpentine. Dip and squeeze and roll in towel. Let stand for two hours or more.


(Good grief. I never had a clue! No wonder they were always telling us kids to stay away from their handiwork that was so pretty on tables!)

3 comments:

Linda said...

No kidding, I always wondered how they managed to get them so stiff and stay that way! They didn't clue you in how to clean old doilies without destroying them in the process, did they? I've got some of grandma's that I'd love to hang in frames, but they're stained and yellowed. I thought about taking them to the dry cleaners but am afraid they would ruin them.

Grandma's Vintage Recipes said...

Anyone have any ideas? My friend took some of my mothers after her death and soaked them overnight in Tide with Bleach cold water. They came out pretty good. Of course you would want to do it all by hand. And instead of wringing them out, roll them in heavy towels to absorb the water. Hope that helps!

Linda said...

This sounds like it would work. I'll give it a try. Thanks! Lin