Sunday, June 28, 2009

CLUB CHICKEN CASSEROLE

An old Southern Indiana recipe.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

SAUCE:

4 tbsp butter
5 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk

In a 2-quart saucepan, melt butter. Gradually stir in the flour to make a thick paste. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a slow boil and cook until thickened.

CHICKEN MIXTURE:

1 1/2 cups cooked, diced or shredded chicken
3 cups cooked rice
3-oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
Toasted bread crumbs for topping

Mix chicken, rice, mushrooms, and bell pepper together in a large bowl. Stir the sauce into the chicken mixture. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with toasted bread crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Grandma's Vintage Recipes said...

Hi there,
I was looking for a specific recipe & came across your site. It struck a chord with me as I too am an avid recipe collector. I can't count the times I have told myself I would not buy, beg, borrow any more books, then my husband sees an old book, which he knows I particularly love, Mentions it & away I go again. I also take old recipe books to bed to read before sleep. So it's nice to know there are others out there who also love recipe's.

Grandma's Vintage Recipes said...

You are a gal after my own heart. Aren't cookbooks and recipes fun?

Linda